Friday, August 10, 2012

Breathtaking!


 I’m 47 years old and in that time I have seen and experienced many new and wonderful things.  Each and every day has moments that bring me little presents of joy and happiness.  Less and less as I have become an adult do I truly have that magical moment that my heart stops and the joy before my eyes can be truly called BREATHTAKING?  Or Oh My God moments which I mean with complete reverence. That is one of the bad parts of becoming an adult. When I’m lucky enough to be gifted such a time I love the shear amazement and joy from what I see, hear and feel feeding my very soul. As I grow older there are fewer and fewer things that you have not seen for real or in other ways.   It is work to keep looking at the world like a child who every day sees things they have never seen before.  Plus my life is so busy that slowing down is not an option as everyone else is to.

This week I was lucky enough to have three wondrous moments that made me take a deep breath and feel my heart and soul sing at the pure joy of what I was witnessing.  All of them happened at the same magical place.  The first was early in the week when my son and I took our lunch to the dock to eat. I heard a fluttering and look up to see big beautiful eyes looking down on us. Perched on a branch was barred owl with its sweet little face. This was not the first one I have ever seen this close but it was still just as heart stopping.



Next I was all alone on the dock when I saw a little nose popping out of the water and heard a little splash. Then I lump of grey break the surface.  I realized that it wasn’t just one but five manatee swimming ten feet from me. As I continue watching I truly feel that internal squeal I had as a child when I was so excited I felt I would burst. I was so memorized I just could not leave and felt so blessed that I got to witness what wonderful creatures they were.  Being able to stay and watch them for so long in the wild was beyond words. Days later I still feel that way.



The last one was just a brief experience where I was standing looking at the water when I see a bird flying at me. I get my camera ready and I’m expecting to get a wonderful shot of maybe a heron. Instead a handsome osprey as graced me with a visit. His regal appearance is something I will not forget. Then as quickly as he came he flew away.

These to me are presents from God and they are given to me when I need a lift or just because. Truly nature and all the wonderful creatures are gifts that make my heart and soul fly. If I can go to my grave still getting that flutter in my stomach and wide eyed amazement then I will have truly learned to see the gifts given to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment